My first Road Trip experience was the year as I just moved to Germany. We drove from Germany until South of Spain; it took us two days non-stop driving to reach the destination, and one-way distance is almost one thousand five hundred kilometers. Since that trip, we have been traveling around in Europe, Spain, Italy or Germany; of course, only traveling by car. Not just us, Road Trip is also the most popular way to enjoy vacations. There are many benefits to travel by car :
- Travel freely : The schedule depends on yourself. No need to worry about the time of boarding, check-in or delay. Even you can re-arrange your plans without changing any reservation. It is the most significant advantage of a Road Trip.
- Convenient transportations : There is always a problem if we arrive at the destination by public transport, how do we move from one location to the other one? Bus, taxi or subway? Sure. However, our feet are tied by the departure schedules.
- Easy packing : No matter how you pack, you can always pack what you need and what you like when traveling by car. No limited of weight or volume. A journey by car is particularly convenient for families with children.
In this article, I would like to share with you how to prepare and what to pack for a road trip; moreover, how to plan a perfect road trip.
What to prepare :
- Vehicle safety check : Never to do a vehicle safety check before the road trip. If you are a tourist and plan a road trip, make sure to apply the security. Prepare Child safety seat for the little guest, make sure the seat is tied correctly with the belt.
- Plan the driving mileage : Our very first road trip was planned compactly. It made us a bit nervous; although, we saved somedays hotel fee. The best way is to plan your daily driving mileage and to set a certain distance or driving hour for the trip. Take it easy and enjoy the journey.
- Map : The navigation system is advanced; however, do not forget to update to the newest version to receive the latest road information. Moreover, it is also important to prepare one paper map that we were used to checking the way; in case the electronic system gets a problem.
- Neighbors : There are few families live in our apartment building. Before someone goes on vacation, we inform each other. It is not only to help each other for packages or to give water to plants but also a kind of security awareness that one family is out of the house for weeks.
- Music Playlists : It is important to listen to the traffic on the radio; however, a few favorite playlists are also necessary for the entertainment. For example, as we drove to Amsterdam for one week vacation, we had prepared a few playlists about movie soundtracks. That was a joyful journey.
- Highway license or toll： Highway in Germany is free to use. In Austria, you will have to buy a license to drive on the highway. In most Europe countries, there are toll stations; therefore, it is necessary to prepare some coins.
What To Pack :
- Dress Well : no matter for the driver or the guests, it is important to dress comfortably during the trip when you have to sit for some hours. Some even prepare one pair of slippers for a more convenient and relaxed driving time. Besides, do not forget one shawl or sweatshirt in case any unpredictable dropping temperature. A note : some of German whom I know do not wear slippers while driving to avoid an accident.
- Food and Drink : No matter where we go, we always have one pack of snacks with us; not even to mention when the trip takes hours to reach our destination. You never can expect when and where to find a store, especially in Europe. Make sure to have your favorite snacks in sweet and salt. We prepare bottle water on the way and only buy in the chain-supermarkets which offer the lower price than a normal store.
- Diapers : Yes, Diapers. Traffic jam in high travel season is typical. A diaper is the best tool when you want to take a number one. Cover with a jacket or a shawl, take off the trousers and seat on the diaper; it is the easiest way for both man or woman to solve the problem. It is even not smelly.
- Cleaning supplies : Never forget some packs of Cleansing gum, wet tissue, tissue; you will need them during the journey for any situation.
A well-planned road trip will bring you a lot of fun and unforgettable memories. I hope you will find this article useful and interesting. How about you, do you have some unforgettable travel stories that would like to share with me? Below, I have a list for you about out 2017 Road Trip from Munich Germany to Peniscola Spain, total almost 4000 km. The list might give you some inspiration for your next travel destination.
Fanning Tseng is the editor of Yes! Please Enjoy which was founded in 2012. Having lived in different cities and experienced different cultures, Fanning focuses on the connection between Europe and Asia. She is now working as a professional photographer and a full-time blogger. Moreover, Fanning is a regular feature columnist in several Chinese online magazines such as Vogue Taiwan, WOMANY and 10/10 HOPE. Get better informed by subscribing the Newsletter; moreover, let’s stay connected on Instagram and Facebook.